More and more people are trying their hand at making their own homemade, natural soap. It’s fun, eco-friendly, cheap and much simpler than you might think – this recipe uses just four ingredients! It’s also a good way to impress guests when you have people over to the house. And if there are birthdays coming up, it makes a great homemade gift. Follow our step by step guide on how to make homemade soap below. We’ve also made a nice, quick video to help illustrate the steps!
Homemade Soap Ingredients
One of the best things about making your own soap is that you can add the ingredients and fragrances you like most. There are ingredients that form the base of the soap recipe, but after that you can be as creative as you like. Choose your favourite essential oils, herbs, colours etc. and go wild! We’ve included walnuts in the recipe because of their exfoliating qualities. Also consider that some things work better on certain skin types than others when choosing your ingredients.
A note on colours – it’s better to avoid food colouring, as it doesn’t work too well in soap. Stick to natural colourings: cocoa powder or coffee for brown, or ginger for pale yellow, for example.
Our Natural Soap Recipe
You can have a lot of fun with your recipes and try different combinations of scents, oils and ingredients. We recommend you give our homemade soap recipe a go for the first batch. Then once you’ve got that right, experiment with different things and find your favourite combinations. Thanks to La Fabrique Pailletee for helping us create this recipe!
What you need to make soap:
- 500g of glycerin soap base.
- A handful of walnuts.
- 1 tablespoon of an essential oil of your choice (we used almond essential oil).
- 50ml of argan oil.
- Silicone mould.
How to Make Homemade, Natural Soap: step by step
- Crush the walnuts with the back of a large spoon into a coarse powder – it doesn’t need to be too fine a powder.
- Cut the glycerin into small pieces and melt in a saucepan over a larger saucepan of boiling water.
- Once the glycerin has completely melted, add the argan oil and nuts and stir thoroughly.
- Take the pan off the heat and add the essential oil then stir. Add the mix to a silicone mould and leave for three hours to set.
- Remove the soap from the mould and voila! Your soap is ready to enjoy.
The finished product is perfect for leaving around the house for handwashing, or as a facewash. And, as we said, it makes a very thoughtful, homemade gift to give to friends and family. Let us know in the comments how you get on with our natural soap recipe. Good luck and happy soap making!